First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has announced a reshuffle of the Scottish Government. We are happy to see Ms Sturgeon has continued her gender balanced approach, so we were wondering how the rural balance compares. The headline news for people who live and work rurally is
- Fergus Ewing remains as Cabinet Secretary for Rural Economy. He will be supported by
- Mairi Gougeon as Minister for Rural Affairs and the Natural Environment
- Michael Matheson is Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity
- Paul Wheelhouse as Minister for Energy, Connectivity and the Islands
- Aileen Campbell is Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Local Government supported by
- Kevin Stewart as Local Government, Housing and Planning
SRA would like to thank out going Ministers for their hard work, congratulate the Ministers who have remained and of course to welcome all new appointees to both levels of government. We look forward to working with them all.
As for rural balance – we are please to see lots of promotions for MSPs who have rural and island communities within their constituencies. It is important that the experience of their rural constituents is heard at all levels of government.
Back row from the left: Michael Russell , Roseanna Cunningham, Derek Mackay, Michael Matheson Fiona Hyslop and Fergus Ewing
Second row: Jeane Freeman, Humza Yousaf, Shirley-Anne Somerville and Aileen Campbell
Front row: Nicola Sturgeon and John Swinney
Left to right: Mairi Gougeon, Ash Denham, Ben Macpherson, Claire Haughey, Kate Forbes, Nicola Sturgeon, Graeme Dey, Gillian Martin, Christina McKelvie and Ivan McKee