Our vision is to help improve the lives of people in rural Scotland and to reduce rural inequality.
To encourage and actively support the development of an inclusive and sustainable rural movement that is rooted in Scotland’s rural communities and empowers and connects them.
About Scottish Rural Action
Scottish Rural Action is a Scottish Charity (No. SC048086) and a registered company limited by guarantee (No. SC461352). It is managed by a Board of Directors drawn from its membership. The current Board of Directors was elected at our AGM in Stranraer on the 16th November 2018.
We are a grassroots-led, non-profit organisation that seeks to reduce rural inequality and to make the voice of the seldom-heard more audible.
We work by:
- Connecting with rural communities through our developing active volunteer-led networks to build a grass-roots rural movement.
- Organising the Scottish Rural Parliament every two years to connect rural communities with decision-makers and to raise the profile of rural needs and strengths.
- Providing opportunities for rural communities to connect, share and learn from each other.
- Influencing policy and services at a national, regional and local level on the 5 key priority areas in the Rural Manifesto for Scotland to ensure the needs and interest of marginalised people living in rural areas are not overlooked.
- Representing the voice of rural Scotland on key Scottish Government decision-making committees including National Transport Strategy Partnership Group and the Rural Policy Cross-Party Group.
- Ensuring that decision-makers understand the needs and strengths of rural communities in Scotland, and that policy does not disadvantage rural communities.
We are a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity formed with the dual purpose of developing and organising Scotland’s Rural Parliament and supporting the development of a rural movement. We have no affiliation with any political party. Our members elect our board of directors every two years.
The objects of Scottish Rural Action are:
- To encourage and actively support the development of an inclusive and sustainable Scottish rural movement that is rooted in Scotland’s rural communities and empowers and connects them.
- To support the organisation of a Scottish Rural Parliament that meets with the purpose of giving a stronger, more coherent voice to Scotland’s rural communities and enabling them to engage more effectively with government at all levels.
- To support and promote the development of a Scottish rural movement and Rural Parliament.